Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Cost of Ads

Recently, I installed Adblock and Flashblock on Google Chrome. I hesitated for a while--after all, websites had to get revenue somehow, and if it involved nothing more than a few pictures in constant motion, I was willing to accept that.

Although weary for the survival of the internet, I broke down and installed it because ads can be more than annoying. At times, the downright hinder access to information, like the pop-up hell pages in days yonder gone. Sometimes, they're downright malicious.

I couldn't take it anymore; between the paranoia and the nuisance, internet advertising had lost my trust. I was surprised with the results:

First of all, the internet was smoother. It was like the first time I used Chrome, all over again. No giant flash scripts to execute; no overloaded adserve servers to access.

More so, though, I was stunned how much cleaner everything is. Look at the website to the left--it's clear, for the first time, someone actually spent time designing it. The information is presented with out noise or irritation. It's quite incredible how much simplicity is lost when the advertising is there; the agitation that distraction causes detracts in a way that's hard to describe and costly in immeasurable ways.

After all, I don't want a free iPad. I know I'm not your "winner." I want to know the lyrics to this song, and I want to leave. Everything else is just noise. However, I'm surprised how annoying noise actually is. I thought I was a master at tuning it out, but now it's clear how exhausting tuning is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->