Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I Know Why You Get Spam

Spam is a big problem apparently. I never noticed.

I have two e-mail addresses. One of them I've had for about four years now. The other I've had about two. The second e-mail address I plan on switching to, eventually. I just haven't got around to it. Predominantly, I use the first.

The reason I plan on switching to the second is that it is my real life name. If I want to build a career and all that good stuff, I've gotta have an e-mail address that reflects me, professionally. The e-mail address I use predominantly now is not my name. Hell, it's not even in English, or any spoken language for that matter.

When I log in to my real name e-mail, I notice something everytime; there's spam in it. Every single time, hands down.

I started wondering why. After all, I've never used the thing. In fact, I've used my current e-mail WAY more than my real name one, and I haven't got a single bit of spam on it--well, that's not so true, but pretty close. Not a single bit has arrived in the inbox.

The only possibility I could think of was that my real name e-mail address is just that--my real name. It's a name a spambot that has an infinite amount of time to do everything at nearly zero cost would come up with randomly. However, my primary e-mail address is derived from a dead language, and it's spelled wrong. No machine would ever guess that e-mail address.

In short, if your name is John Smith, and you're e-mail is smithj4 or jsmith4 or johnsmith, you're fucked. If your name is Pokako Lemanko, and your e-mail address is lemanp or pleman or pokakolemanko, you're not going to get spam. You're just too original for a machine to conceive.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spam bots are retarded, but smart.

Thursday, March 05, 2009 12:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spam bots are retarded, but smart.

Thursday, March 05, 2009 12:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->